Congratulations! You have chosen the top co-educational International Baccalaureate school in Toronto and are joining a friendly and dynamic community! Outlined below are some guidelines and “to dos” to ensure a smooth transition for your family between now and September.
#1: Connect with The York School on social media!
#2: Encourage your children to finish the year strong. Students may have a tendency to “check out” when they know they are leaving their school in a couple of months. But they should continue to make the most of their current school experience – engage in student life and academic achievement and finish on a high note!
#3: Start building relationships now. Between now and September, there will be a number of opportunities for incoming parents and students to initiate friendships and have some of their questions answered. A sense of comfort, familiarity and the feeling that you are part of a network will make for a much smoother transition to a new school. Here’s what coming up:
- Current JK parents will be contacting all new incoming JK parents by phone in the coming weeks.
- New incoming JK parents and new incoming JK students are encouraged to attend the JK Playdate & JK Parent Welcome Morning on Wednesday, May 24 from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. at the Junior School (1639 Yonge Street). RSVP HERE.
- New incoming SK through Grade 11 parents interested in talking to a York Parent Ambassador are encouraged to contact the Advancement Department at email@example.com or 416-926-1325 x 1183 to be connected.
- New incoming SK through Grade 11 parents are encouraged to attend the New Parent Welcome Evening on Thursday, May 25 from 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. at the Middle & Senior School (1320 Yonge Street). RSVP HERE.
- New incoming Grade 6 through 11 students are encouraged to attend the New Student Orientation Evening on Thursday, May 25 from 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. at the Middle & Senior School (1320 Yonge Street). RSVP HERE.
- Look for an email in the coming weeks connecting your SK through Grade 11 child to a returning York School student who will be his or her Class Partner (Junior School), Homeroom Partner (Middle School), or Grade Partner (Senior School) in September. Partners are in the same grade and/or class as the new incoming students they are paired with. Partners act as a “welcoming committee” for new students and a resource and friendly face during the new student’s first weeks at The York School. Partners (through their parents) make an effort to connect with incoming students before summer starts. Some Middle & Senior School Partners will also be in attendance at the New Student Orientation Evening!
#4: The Welcome Package will be a key resource during your transition to The York School. Look out for an email by mid-May linking you to the online Welcome Package. The Welcome Package will provide you with key information (like how and when to order uniforms and laptops) to get you off to a great start! Here’s a tip: make sure you follow the New Student checklist at the beginning of the package!
#5: Don’t let the Friday Flash end up in your junk mail folder! The York School sends out a weekly interactive electronic newsletter called the “Friday Flash” during the school year. In the summer, the school sends a “July Flash” and an “August Flash” to the community. These newsletters are full of important information to get ready for returning to school in September, so look for them in your inbox. Be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe list, and if you do not receive the first Summer Flash by the end of July, please contact our communications department at 416-926-1325 x 1172.
# 6: Mark Tuesday, September 5 on your calendar. Here’s why:
- All new incoming Grade 8 through 11 Students are required to attend Open the Box from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. at the Junior School (1639 Yonge Street). New incoming students will receive their laptops and will participate in a technology orientation session. Please note that new incoming Grade 6 and 7 Students will have their Open the Box orientation a couple of weeks into the school year.
- All new incoming and returning JK through Grade 5 parents and students are strongly encouraged to attend the Junior School Drop-in from 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. at 1639 Yonge Street. Find out which class your child is in and visit their classroom. Meet the teachers. Meet other parents. Meet other students. Visiting the school on the day before the official first day of school makes the first day of school on Wednesday, September 6th much smoother for everyone!
# 7: Note the five people your child should make a point of meeting during the first week of school:
- Main Teacher: This would be the Core Teacher in the Junior School, the Homeroom Teacher for students entering Middle School, the ICE Teacher for students entering Grade 9, and the Advisor for students entering Grade 9 – 11.
- Counsellor: Each division (Junior, Middle and Senior) has a Counsellor focused on the academic, social, and emotional well-being of our students. The Counsellor acts as an important resource and ongoing source of support.
- Receptionist. Our receptionists at the Junior School and Middle and Senior School welcome all students and parents with a smile and are your first point of contact when you call the main school phone number. They look forward to getting to know all our new incoming families!
- Principal. Each division (Junior, Middle and Senior School) has a Principal who is responsible for the leadership and support of all the students and academic staff. They ensure the daily life of the school runs smoothly and effectively.
- Leadership Coordinator. Each division (Junior, Middle and Senior School) has a Leadership Coordinator responsible for developing, administering and overseeing meaningful, inclusive, and engaging student opportunities and experiences outside of the classroom.
Transitioning to a new school is both an exciting and uncertain time for both students and parents! Take advantage of all the opportunities outlined above to ensure the smoothest onboarding process as you get ready for September. And, as always, we are here to help so do not hesitate to be in touch with any questions or concerns you may have – big or small!
The York School Admission & Enrolment Management Team