Top 5 Benefits of Co-Curricular Activities for Students

A new school year is about to start and as students everywhere are getting ready for classes, many are also looking forward to participating in co-curricular activities at school. Co-curricular activities take place before school, at lunch, or after school. They complement what students are learning in school and support intellectual, emotional, social, moral, creative and physical development. Examples of co-curriculars include sports teams, art club, science club, student council, debate club and the student newspaper. Participation in co-curricular activities benefits students in many ways. Here are five key benefits of co-curricular activities:

1. Social Skills and Relationship-Building

Students often participate in co-curricular activities with students in other grades which helps to develop relationship skills and, in many cases, lasting friendships.

2. Time Management Skills

Students participating in co-curricular activities learn to manage their time effectively, prioritize among different competing commitments, and be proactive and creative problem-solvers. Often, the students most engaged in co-curriculars also have the strongest time management skills.

3. Exploring a Plethora of Interests

Co-curricular activities offer a nearly infinite range of possibilities for students wanting to develop and nurture various interests from athletics to the arts and beyond.

4. Developing Self-Esteem

Not all students excel academically. Experiencing success or being recognized for a contribution to a co-curricular activity can greatly improve students’ self-esteem. Oftentimes, this can have a positive impact on performance in the classroom.

5. Commitment

Participation in co-curricular activities requires students to make a longer-term commitment to something and see it through. Many students stay involved in the same activities year after year and can eventually take on a leadership role.

A strong and varied co-curricular programme is an integral part of the experience at an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School like The York School. The York School focuses on developing the intellectual, personal, emotional and social skills students need to live, learn and work in a rapidly globalizing world. The IB encourages both personal and academic achievement and challenges students to excel in their studies and in their personal development. The IB Learner Profile purposely combines the more traditional academic attributes of being knowledgeable inquirers, communicators and thinkers with those attributes that have a more moral and value-focused dimension; courage, open-mindedness, being caring, principled, reflective and balanced. Co-curricular activities give students opportunities to be active in their communities and to take their learning beyond the classroom. This, in turn, helps students do better academically and be better prepared for the next stage in their life.

The goal of The York School’s Co-curricular Programme is to provide a variety of opportunities that challenge and appeal to each and every student. This school year, The York School is looking forward to offering a broad roster of co-curricular programming for students in JK through Grade 12.

To learn more about co-curricular activities at The York School, please explore our website: www.yorkschool.com.